As most of you know, Brent and I had issues getting pregnant because I have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS). PCOS causes my ovaries to develop several eggs at the same time (normally a women only produces one egg a month). Because I have so many eggs "fighting" for the hormones to mature at the same time, it takes my eggs longer to mature and I don't ovulate regularly. In women without PCOS, is takes about two weeks for an egg to mature and drop (ovulate). Because of my PCOS, it can take several months for my eggs to mature and drop, which makes it really hard to get pregnant because you really don't know when you're going to ovulate.
There are several different medications that can be used to help women with PCOS. The medication that I was on when we were trying to get pregnant causes my ovaries to produces more of the hormones needed to help my eggs mature faster. I was monitored by ultrasound, so that we could tell how my eggs were doing and we would know when I was going to ovulate.
This medication did increase our chances of having twins.... but ONLY by less than 1%. So really... the chances were the same of us having twins if I weren't taking the medication. The medication just helped us know "the right time" and gave us more chances in a shorter amount of time to get pregnant (without the medication, I was only ovulating about twice a year).
A lot of the time after a women with PCOS goes through a pregnancy, her body adjust the amount of hormones and she begins to ovulate monthly (like a women without PCOS) but she can still produce several eggs a month (known as hyper-ovulation).
My doctors have told me that if we try to have more babies, the chance of us having twins again is basically the same as it was with my first pregnancy (even if we don't use the medication again).
So... that being said...
Over the past year or so, lots of people have asked me if our twins were a result of fertility treatments. People have said that our twins were "medical induced" or "chemically induced" or that we only have twins because we were on medication for infertility.
These comments REALLY upset me...
Yes, we did have issues getting pregnant and did have to go see a fertility specialist... BUT the medication I was on only helped me get pregnant - it DID NOT cause me to have twins. The fact that I hyper-ovulate from PCOS is what blessed us with twins.
This is kind of a touchy subject for me.... my PCOS doesn't make me infertile, but it did/does cause a lot of the emotional "baggage" that comes with infertility.
No comments:
Post a Comment