Sunday afternoon I was bringing Kyle downstairs after his nap... And I slipped on the stairs! I protected Kyle and took the brunt of the fall on the middle of my back. Brent grabbed Kyle (who is fine) and called 911 while I tried my best to stay still.
The ambulance got there and the EMT's put a neck brace on me and loaded me up on the back board. They took me to hospital and then I laided and staired at the ceiling for a little bit. Eventually, doctors and nurses took me off the back board and I got sent for a CT.
The CT showed a fracture in my T4 vertabra. This meant they had to send me to the trama center at another hospital, so they loaded me up and I went for another ambulance ride.
Once at Christiana, we waited in the ED for a long time. I eventally saw the trama doctors. They admitted me and ordered an MRI. I got to my room about midnight, and had my MRI around 3am.
I had to lay flat on my back with the neck brace on and wasn't allowed to eat or drink anything until they got the MRI results back to know if I needed to have surgery or not. I also had to attempt to pump while laying flat on my back... let's just say that got a little messy - but with the nurses' help, we made it work. :)
A little after noon, the nurse said the neurosurgeon read the MRI results and they finally let me drink and moved my bed so I could sit up a little bit! We knew this was a good sign that I wasn't going to need surgery!
Around 4pm the neurosurgeon finally came in. He said no surgery! He also informed me that I have not one, but two fractures (T3 & T4). He said my neck was okay, so he took the brace off my neck. He helped me sit up and checked me all out. He told me I was allowed to get up out of bed and could move around a little bit. He also ordered a brace for me. He told me that if I had to break my back, I broke it in the best place with the best type of fracture.
I spent one more night in the hospital and am now at home! The only restriction is "if it hurts, don't do it." But really.. that means not bending and twisting or picking up anything heavy. He told me Kyle was probably the heaviest thing that I was going to want to pick up. I am pretty sore still and moving carefully. I haven't picked up the babies yet, but have cuddled with them in my chair and sat on the floor and played with them. I'm very happy to be home with my babies again... I missed them very much!
My mom and Michael (step-dad) are here right now and are staying through the weekend. Next week Brent's mom is coming out (which was already planned) and then the following week Kara is coming out to help. And the week after that, Alyssa (and Cubbie!) is available to come out if we need her. We also have some great friends out here in Delaware that have helped and have offered to help if we need it. We are very thankful for the support system God has provided us with.
After taking care of the babies full time for two days, Daddy has a new appreciation for all of the work mommy does... He's just a little worn out! :)
The ambulance got there and the EMT's put a neck brace on me and loaded me up on the back board. They took me to hospital and then I laided and staired at the ceiling for a little bit. Eventually, doctors and nurses took me off the back board and I got sent for a CT.
The CT showed a fracture in my T4 vertabra. This meant they had to send me to the trama center at another hospital, so they loaded me up and I went for another ambulance ride.
Once at Christiana, we waited in the ED for a long time. I eventally saw the trama doctors. They admitted me and ordered an MRI. I got to my room about midnight, and had my MRI around 3am.
I had to lay flat on my back with the neck brace on and wasn't allowed to eat or drink anything until they got the MRI results back to know if I needed to have surgery or not. I also had to attempt to pump while laying flat on my back... let's just say that got a little messy - but with the nurses' help, we made it work. :)
A little after noon, the nurse said the neurosurgeon read the MRI results and they finally let me drink and moved my bed so I could sit up a little bit! We knew this was a good sign that I wasn't going to need surgery!
Around 4pm the neurosurgeon finally came in. He said no surgery! He also informed me that I have not one, but two fractures (T3 & T4). He said my neck was okay, so he took the brace off my neck. He helped me sit up and checked me all out. He told me I was allowed to get up out of bed and could move around a little bit. He also ordered a brace for me. He told me that if I had to break my back, I broke it in the best place with the best type of fracture.
I spent one more night in the hospital and am now at home! The only restriction is "if it hurts, don't do it." But really.. that means not bending and twisting or picking up anything heavy. He told me Kyle was probably the heaviest thing that I was going to want to pick up. I am pretty sore still and moving carefully. I haven't picked up the babies yet, but have cuddled with them in my chair and sat on the floor and played with them. I'm very happy to be home with my babies again... I missed them very much!
My mom and Michael (step-dad) are here right now and are staying through the weekend. Next week Brent's mom is coming out (which was already planned) and then the following week Kara is coming out to help. And the week after that, Alyssa (and Cubbie!) is available to come out if we need her. We also have some great friends out here in Delaware that have helped and have offered to help if we need it. We are very thankful for the support system God has provided us with.
After taking care of the babies full time for two days, Daddy has a new appreciation for all of the work mommy does... He's just a little worn out! :)
I'm so glad your family is able to be there with you! I'm sure your mom and Michael are so sad they have to come spend more time with the grandbabies (sarcasm).
ReplyDeleteI'm very happy they are able to come out... I'm sure we could find enough friends around here that could help out, but it's sooooo much better to have my mommy :) When I called and told everyone what happened and people offered to come out and help... I half wondered if they wanted to come help because I broke my back, or if they just wanted to see the babies :)
ReplyDeleteKeyla I came because you are my little girl, just like Kyle and Emily are your little babies. Just because you are all grown up doesn't mean you still don't need a Mommy sometimes! We were very happy to come and spend some extra time with your family. Love you
ReplyDelete