Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Two Boys = Two ER Visits

For those of you that don't know, we are currently in Chicago on a missions trip with our teens. The teens are working with Vision for Youth and Inner City Impact doing a soccer camp. The kiddos and I are staying with Brent's sister Alyssa and her family and spending part of our days with Daddy and the teens.

Sunday the teens were all at Alyssa and Shane's house helping with a move and as they were getting ready to leave on Sunday night, Colby fell and smacked his mouth on a shelf. He screamed and was bleeding and missing part of his tooth. We called our pediatrician's office and after talking to the on-call physician, decided Colby needed to go to the ER to get check out. Kyle and Emily stayed with Alyssa and Shane while Colby and I went to the hospital. They checked him all out at the hospital. He has four teeth... he broke both of the top two.... The ER doctor said he was fine to wait until we got home to go to the dentist, but will probably need root canals and crowns on both teeth!

Today Alyssa and Harper (her 3 month old) joined the kids and I when we went to hang out with the teens. The kids were sitting on the bleachers and Alyssa and I kept telling Emily and Colby to sit down because they were climbing all over. At one point, Emily got her arm stuck and I had to get her some ice. Kyle was sitting still on the bottom bench (about a foot off the ground) and somehow fell. I hopped right up to him expecting him to start screaming but be fine. As soon as I saw his arm, I knew it was broken and most likely badly broken. 

Brent called 911 and Kyle screamed the whole time we waited for the ambulance to get there. As soon as we got into the ambulance, he calmed down and didn't cry again until they set his arm. 

Luckily Alyssa was there and took care of Emily and Colby. She, along with one of our teens (Gabby), got the kids into the van and met us at the hospital. 

I thought Kyle would be excited about the ambulance right, but at the time he didn't really seem to care. Once we got to the hospital, we got checked in and not to long after that a PA saw Kyle in triage and said the same thing as the EMT's... it's was broken, but the real question was how bad. Once Gabby was inside with Kyle and I, she went with Kyle to get his x-rays (since Mommy couldn't stay with him because of the baby in my belly). Gabby and the tech both said he did really good while he was getting his x-rays. 

A little while later the doctor same and showed us the x-ray. He broke both bones in his right forearm. Normally when little kids break bones they just kind of bend them... but Kyle completely broke both bones. 

The plan was to sedate him so they could set the bones. They got him all ready with his IV and hooked up to all the monitors and stuff.. and then they gave him the meds and nothing happened. After three doses, he was a little silly, but still WIDE awake. They pharmacist came in, and her and the doctor were both very confused why Kyle was still awake. They tried a different drug and within seconds he was asleep. They set his arm and put a temporary cast on it and then we had to wait for him to wake up. It took a little longer than expected, but eventually he woke up. He was kind of crabby, but that was to be expected. After he went pee, ate some crackers, and drank some juice, he were finally able to be discharged. 

Alyssa was AMAZING and kept Harper, Emily, and Colby content all afternoon between the car and ER waiting room! She was waiting for us when we came out... and we got some food and took Gabby back to the teens and headed home!

On the way home, it was funny listening to Kyle tell Emily all about riding in the ambulance, getting x-rays taken, and showing off his cast! When I put him to bed, he was really excited to go show the teenagers tomorrow! 

So, next week when we get home, Colby will get to see the dentist and Kyle will get to see an orthopedic for his BLUE cast!  

No comments:

Post a Comment