On Saturday afternoon around 1:00pm I started having contractions about two minutes apart. Most of them were pretty good ones. We waited a while, and finally when Emily and Kyle woke up from their nap, I called the doctor. She told me to head to the hospital to get checked. So we loaded everything up and headed to Lansing. Brent dropped me off at the hospital and took the kiddos to Grandma and Grandpa's house.
When I got to the hospital, they got me all hooked up to the monitors and such. They said I was having a good contraction pattern. Sadly, the contractions were not having much of an effect on my cervix. Around 7:00 or so, they decided to send me home, but suggested we stay at my parents house for the night (only 20 minutes away, instead of the 45 that we live). So headed to Williamston for the night.
It was a rough night. I was still having contractions every two minutes or until about 2am, so I didn't sleep much. About the time the contractions started to slow down a bit, Emily and Kyle decided they were done sleeping. So we tried to cuddle with two restless toddlers... around 6am, we finally put them back in their pack and plays and they slept for an hour or so.
On Sunday, once we were up for the day, we got around and headed to the mall to walk. Around this time my contractions were back to about two minutes apart, but weren't nearly as strong as they were on Saturday. My mom walked about five miles with me at the mall, while Mike played with the kiddos in the play area. By the time we were done walking, my contractions were pretty strong again.
Once back at my parents house, we ate lunch and everyone laid down for naps. I rested for a bit, but started having stronger contractions again. We were trying to decide if we wanted to go home or stay in Williamston. I called the on-call doctor again and she suggested walking for an hour and see how the contractions were and if they were still pretty strong, to head back to the hospital to get checked. She gave me the impression that if my cervix had changed at all, they she would have me admitted and try to help speed up the process.
So, my mom walked with me again for an hour... and then Brent and I headed back to the hospital. I had dilated a half a cm more. They hooked me up to the monitors and such and we waited. I was still having contractions every two minutes or so. My blood pressure was high, so they took that a couple times. Eventually they checked me again and I hadn't changed from the first time. She took my blood pressure again and it went down a little bit, but not much. The nurse said she was going to talk to the doctor and so we waited... and waited... Eventually the doctor came in and said they were going to admit me and give me some pitocin to help things along!
I don't do "belly pictures" like most people... but we took a picture just before we went to the hospital to have Emily and Kyle... so I wanted one of right before Colby was born too. It's not very good as I was already in a hospital gown... but yeah... you can still see my belly didn't get as big this time!
Around 8:00pm, my antibiotics for the GBS were started and then around 10:00pm the pitocin was started. I've heard stories about pitocin makings things so unbearable and such... but it really wasn't that bad. The contractions slowly started to get worse, just as they would if labor progressed on its own.
On Monday morning, around 6:30am my doctor got here and decided to break my water. She was going to wait, but once we talked about how quickly things went after my water was broken with Emily and Kyle, she decided she would break it.
Breaking my water only made things more painful, but didn't really speed up progression. Around 8:00am or so, I decided that it was time for an epidural. My nurse thought it would help speed things up because it would help me relax. It was about 8:30am when I got my epidural and was able to sleep for a little while.
At 10:30, the nurse checked and my cervix was at 4cm. We thought that it was going to be another several hours before Colby was born... we were thinking sometime late afternoon at this point. My nurse wanted me to try to get some more sleep and said she would check me again at 12:30pm.
At noon, my nurse came in to get everything set up and ready for delivery. While she was getting out all the stuff, I all of a sudden was in a lot of pain. She told me to push my button to give me another dose of the epidural medicine and said she would check me once everything was all set out. At 12:10pm, she checked and I was at 10cm, but Colby's head was still a little ways up. She went out and paged the doctor at 12:15. The resident came in right away and she and the nurse started to tear down the bed and get things ready while we waited for my doctor. My doctor came into the room at 12:22. They were still slowly getting stuff ready and my doctor decided to take a peak... then they started to RUSH to get things ready. I started pushing at 12:24... I pushed three times and Colby's head was out. At 12:27pm, I pushed a final time and Colby was all the way out and laying on my belly! He turned pick quickly and scored a 9 and then a 10 on the apgar test thingy.
After they got me all cleaned up and such, the nurse took Colby over to the little bed thingy to get him a little more cleaned up and get all this measurements and such. He was 6 pounds and 15.5 ounces; 20 inches long; head circumference was 13.1 inches.
The nurse gave Colby back to me and he latched right on to nurse and nursed for almost an hour!!
He has been a pretty relaxed baby during his first 24 hours. When he's awake, he loves to look around. He's been a great sleeper and a pro at nursing.
(I'll do another post soon about Colby meeting Emily and Kyle and all our other visitors!)